SigmaDrive®’s breakthrough sensing technology delivers concurrent drive and sense of the entire touch screen sensor and is transforming product strategies. SigmaSense® is pioneering a massive industry shift away from traditional voltage-mode touch sensing to current-mode ADCs using ultra-low voltages, with the ability to simultaneously drive, sense, and image the entire screen surface regardless of size.
Current mode ADCs capture data at the edge between analog and digital domains for higher fidelity and less signal interference. The shift to current-mode ADCs means no more sampling or scanning with high voltage thresholds to detect a touch. The result is delivering touch sensing with 100 to 1000 times better per volt signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) when normalized for time. Designers are now unencumbered by traditional RC timing constraints due to charge times and scan requirements. This enables touch sensing through thick glass, thick gloves and liquids that challenges traditional approaches.
Without question, Capacitive Imaging technologies from SigmaSense® will set new benchmarks for touch performance, optical quality, and reliability
Industry record breaking firsts for interactive touch surfaces
SigmaDrive® technology changes the rules to enable our partners to design better solutions for their applications. Designers are now relieved from constraints that limit designs.
- First ultra-low voltage touch controller to drive high impedance sensors
- First with 300 Hz report rate on high impedance sensor stacks
- First touch controller capable of driving low cost, non-uniform, high resistance, curved, and multifunction sensors
- First to support PEDOT polymer at sizes exceeding 65 inches
- First Low voltage touch controller to work through thick glass greater than 15mm even with thick gloves
- First touch controllers that eliminate impedance matched routing even on displays greater than 100 inches.
- First in-cell capacitive imaging controller that enables simultaneous touch sensing and display operations.
Performance firsts for interactive touch surfaces
Because SigmaDrive® technology current mode ADCs are fundamentally different, we achieve performance milestones previously thought impossible.
- First touch controller with continuous and concurrent drive sensing of self-capacitance, mutual capacitance, multiple pens, and data communications
- First PCAP touch controller that senses and reacts to EMI almost instantaneously on all channels
- First PCAP controller streaming at 300 Hz report rate on large screens that images entire screen with all rows, all columns and multiple pens.
- First touch controller with 20 MHz oversampling that images data and enables machine learning.
- First high speed PCAP controller that can be located remotely from the touch screen
- First touch controller capable of sending and receiving ‘data through touch’ using the Body as a Network
Unparalleled noise immunity is now possible
Eliminate the design constraints that have limited your devices in the past. Unleash the potential to provide new user experiences.
- Every channel is independently software controlled with its own Sigma-Delta modulator
- Every single channel pin I/O can be used for both drive and sense
- Simultaneous drive/sense removes common mode noise, eliminates self mode parasitics and mitigates mutual parasitics
- Concurrency allows for pen, self and mutual detection in the same sample cycle
- Independent and dynamic channel multi-frequency selection
Major benefits for ODMs and OEMs
SigmaDrive® architecture offers original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and original device manufactures (ODMs) numerous opportunities to gain competitive advantage by differentiating in several areas, some of which include:
- Software tuning capabilities deliver much shorter tuning cycles
- Ease of Integration and design flexibility with fewer constraints
- Programmable support for a wide range of frequencies
- Narrow band filtering allows higher noise tolerance
- Reduced engineering costs for customization with simplified tuning
- High speed pen reporting support at no added cost
- Fewer design compromises
- Flexibility in routing and placement – matching impedances are a thing of the past
- One controller to support multiple touch input surfaces – sensor fusion
Technology to disrupt vertical markets
The many benefits of SigmaDrive® architecture will have a major impact for touch sensors across practically every market including, but not limited to:
- TVs and Large Interactive Displays
- Computers and tablets
- Military and Avionics
- Medical Environments and Healthcare
- Industrial Controls
- All things IoT
- Technology Wearables
- AND much more